Saturday 20 April 2013

Spiral Galaxies


The title of my Final Major Project is "Gazing at the Galaxy" 
My starting point was to gather lots of research on my theme which is all about the galaxy. I started by collecting lots of images and information about space. I also decided that I wanted to base my project on abstract expressionism, so I started looking at some artists that relate to this subject such as Marc Rothko, Jackson Pollock, Juan Miro and also Damien Hirsts' spin paintings.




I started by experimenting with what is called "Action Painting". This technique involves painting with lots of energy and also painting using objects and experimenting with different textures. I just started putting the paint on and then using a brush i started moving the paint around and then dipping it in the paint to try and print on some stars around the edge of the paper. I was trying to create an abstract style galaxy. These two pieces were inspired by NASA'S photographs of actual spiral galaxies taken by their satellites.

I also found the BBC space universe website to be very useful when collecting images.
 
 
Next I thought it was a good idea to continue the spiral galaxies so I decided instead of using paint on paper, I thought about using fabric and batik dye to see if I could create a different technique or method of making some really interesting galleries.
 
 
I'm using the batik dyes in the textiles department to splash some of the dyes onto my fabric and hopefully try and create a galaxy like image in the middle of it. Batik dye changes when it dries it loses it's vibrancy because the material does soak it up.
 
 
I have also in certain areas added some bleach so that takes out some of the colour and gives a really strange effect. Once most of it was dry I poured on some liquid wax onto this piece and later I can melt it with an iron. When I had actually finished it i'm not sure that it was all that succesful because it ended up turning into a blob like mess so maybe i could have used less dye or bleach if  I did it again. 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment