Sunday 28 April 2013

experiments on fabric


I started experimenting with fabrics and batik dyes. I chose a few pieces of fabric and then decided that i would have a go with the batik dyes. I thought that maybe they could turn out quite interesting because of the texture of the fabric. When i started putting on the dye the fabric immediately started to soak it up, so when i put more colours on the dyes started to run together covering the whole piece of fabric. I thought it was actually nice the way it had blended together. Eventually the colours were too much so i tried to bleach out some of the colours using household bleach and adding a bit of water to it. I then started dropping the bleach on and also i tried pouring and splashing it on to create different effects.


So this was another one i did straight after and i did the same thing again but using different colours. I dropped the dyes on and then i tried drawing into the fabric with the bleach to make my own shapes and patterns. It didn't work that well because the bleach had actually burnt out most of the colour showing the white fabric through again. I couldn't control how far the bleach spreads across the fabric.


This was done on a different type of fabric, the texture of the material was smoother and much more thinner and silkier. This one had a different effect when i put the dyes on because the material didn't soak them up, instead they just fell through the material. The dye did run and blend together leaving a big mess and didn't really leave achieve the effect i was looking for. The bleach didn't really work too well when i put it on last it just didn't take to the material.
I'm going to have to experiment now with other materials and paints.




No comments:

Post a Comment