Saturday 18 May 2013

Spin art



My next idea was to try some spin art, which i researched on the internet and i found a selection of artists who have experimented with this way of painting.
Here are a few artists and links:
 
Taking inspiration from these artists and their spin paintings I decided to give it a try myself, it seemed really interesting to me. I decided to use the spinning wheel in our ceramics room to try and get a similair effect.
 
My first attempts were done on small pieces of paper, i used poster paint and added water to it so that it was very liquid and would fly around on the paper. To drop the paint onto the paper I used what are called slip trailers and sucked up the paints out of the jugs I had put them in. I can then squeeze them and the paint will come out in a controled way.
 
I thought that my first efforts were really good and they turned out better than i had expected them to be. The good thing about using the wheel is that it has a pedal so i can adjust the speed and control the speed to get different effects. I'm now going to think about using other materials and try different paints.
 


I decided I was going to try the same technique and try this on some small pieces of clay but this time using the coloured slips and pouring those onto the clay. I can then see how they turn out after they have been fired in the kiln.
 
 
So this is my small slab that i'm going to be working on, I have setup my paints and I have got the slip trailers and i'm going to try the process again.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I have finished the seven small slabs that i have experimented on and this is before they go in the kiln. They need to dry before being fired in the kiln. I think they are going to turn out really nice. The nice subtle marks and lines from the feather i used on one of the slabs will definitely show up when it has been fired.
 
 
 

 




 
 

I still had time to do another set of slabs and this time i wanted to change the texture and shape of the slabs. I started punching holes in the slabs with a small i found in the workshop. The clay was just damp enough for me to be able to get push the tool through the slabs.
 
I placed them down on the wheel making sure it wouldn't fly off, and then spun these ones too.
 
 
When these were finished i left them out to dry and they will go to be fired with the others.
 
 
The next step was to continue experimenting with bigger slabs. I decided again i wanted to change the shape of the slabs to make them more interesting. I threw the slab randomly onto a table to distort the shape entirely and then I will spin it.
 
                             







 

 
This is the result of my experimentation and i think it is really interesting and different from the other slabs. It does work. Once this is fired in the kiln it will be really interesting.
 
 
Everything has been fired and has turned out well.
 
 
 
I think that it was successful and I may think about using what i have learned for a final piece.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment