Friday 14 June 2013

Model spaceships

To continue with my theme of space I wanted to start building some model space ships. Taking inspiration from my favourite science fiction shows and movies such as Star wars, Star Trek and Prometheus, I wanted to design my own spaceships. I looked on the internet at images of spaceships and I chose ones that I was familiar with and ones that i had not seen before.
Google images of spaceships
http://www.startrek.com/
http://www.startrek.com/galleries
http://starwars.com/
Prometheus film review


Using the images I had found on the internet I thought that I should collect some materials to work with from the workshop such as wood and mdf and use some scrap pieces that other students no longer needed and build them. I thought that this would make them more interesting and more random.

I did also cut some pieces to shape using the band saw.
So once I had found some interesting shapes to work with I started to build them straight away.                        














As you can see they are starting to take shape, ive have been putting them together using PVA glue and then afterwards I will sand off all the sharp edges using my sandpaper. I have finished one of them and when they are all finished I will prime them with emulsion so later I can paint them.

 
 
I have given them a thin coat of emulsion and leaving them to dry, then I will give them another coat so they have two coats of emulsion and they will be ready to go. I have decided to spin paint them using poster paints, I have chosen prussian blue, black and also I have combined some purple drawing ink. They have turned out really well, I believe they were successful. It was however difficult to cover the entire model with paint so there are a few white patches but I don't mind.
 
 

So now that they are dry and finished I'm having a look at what they look like against a colourful background. I have placed the ship on top of a canvas that I had made earlier in the project where i was experimenting with the batik dyes.
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
I'm thinking about what to do with them now maybe placing them in front of a canvas like this one is the next stage. So now I need to decide what I need to make next. I also think that a larger canvas is definitely needed and then maybe I could hang them in some way.
 
 



 
 
 
These are images from prometheus they are where my inspiration comes from to design the ships and a back drop to go with them. I have also taken images from star wars to vary my research and ship designs.
 
 
 









 



No comments:

Post a Comment